Breast cancer is the most common type of cancer after skin cancer found in the women in The United States of America. Breast cancer is cancer that forms in the cells of the breasts.
There are many types of breast cancers which may happen to someone however, we do not need to get into the medical terms as not everyone gets them. We just have to make sure that we know the basic symptoms and how we can avoid these.
Statistically, 85 out of every 100,000 women in the USA have breast cancer. And you will be shocked to know that the USA is at 22nd Rank in the world. Most numbers of cases per 100,000 women have been found in Belgium & the number goes up to 113.2.
Symptoms of the breast cancer
- A breast lump or thickening that feels different from the surrounding tissue
- Change in the size, shape or appearance of a breast
- Changes to the skin over the breast, such as dimpling
- A newly inverted nipple
- Peeling, scaling, crusting or flaking of the pigmented area of skin surrounding the nipple (areola) or breast skin
- Redness or pitting of the skin over your breast, like the skin of an orange
These signs can be easily identified and one must see a doctor instantly as soon as you notice even one of these signs.
Risk Factors for breast cancer
- Females are more prone to the breast cancer
- As you age, the risk of the breast cancer increases
- If this has been detected in one breast, it is most likely to spread in another one as well
- Family history can be one of the reasons
- Any exposure to harmful radiation can be a cause
- Being obese increases the risk of the breast cancer
- Women who have never been pregnant are more prone than the ones who have had babies
- Alcohol consumption increases the chances of the breast cancer
Breast cancer risk reduction for women with a high risk
If your doctor has assessed your family history and determined that you have other factors, such as a precancerous breast condition, that increase your risk of breast cancer, you may discuss options to reduce your risk, such as:
- Preventive medications (chemoprevention). Estrogen-blocking medications, such as selective estrogen receptor modulators and aromatase inhibitors, reduce the risk of breast cancer in women with a high risk of the disease.These medications carry a risk of side effects, so doctors reserve these medications for women who have a very high risk of breast cancer. Discuss the benefits and risks with your doctor.
- Preventive surgery. Women with a very high risk of breast cancer may choose to have their healthy breasts surgically removed (prophylactic mastectomy). They may also choose to have their healthy ovaries removed (prophylactic oophorectomy) to reduce the risk of both breast cancer and ovarian cancer.
Spread the word as much as you can as this is the threat which is spreading in the world at a rapid speed.
An estimated 2,550 men in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer. It is estimated that 41,400 deaths (40,920 women and 480 men) from breast cancer will occur this year. The 5-year survival rate tells you what percent of people live at least 5 years after the cancer is found.
To have your story featured: click here. Tag your friends in the comment section to let them know about this.